About Me

Hi Folks, I've been playing Warhammer Fantasy from early days, although have just gotten back into it after being absent for a number of years. This blog is to record thoughts and experiences from amongst myself and friends. Personally, I am currently working on Orcs & Gobbos and also have High Elves, Skaven and a few Warriors of Chaos. Amongst the other chaps we have every other army covered. We are not die-hard competition gamers, but enjoy the game for the social aspect as well as the hobby side of collecting and painting.

Sunday 1 May 2011

Night Gobbos - face palm

How I love the little hooded guys. Cheap, squishy, poor leadership little blighters that typically raise an eyebrow from across the gaming table with your opponent wondering how many, if any, fanatics are hidden in the ranks. And a battle wouldn't be complete without either a shaman's head exploding in a rainbow of colour or landing a spell against the odds that turns the tide. But sometimes they do frustrate me so.....

Those times are typically late at night when the Mrs and kids are finally all asleep and I am trying to paint the little buggers with aging eyes and shaky hands :P. Oh the humanity. I am painting up some ealier models where the faces are a bit smaller than the current models and the faces just never come out quite how I'd like. You can probably notice this from the photos :P. My typical approach with greenskins from years back is very basic - gobbo green, dark green ink in the recesses and then camo green for highlights - and this has always worked out pretty reasonable (as least as my skill level goes). But for the gobbos I'm not so sure. My wolf riders are ok but not the night gobbs - main difference is my wolf riders have bald heads and not hoods, so there is more to work with. I am finishing up some archers but plan to do some more gobbos in the future and wouldn't mind trying out some new techniques - particularly when I'm doing big momma spider, as I really want her to be the showcase that she should be. All comments much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. you have a steadier hand than I, my friend...some very nice work there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, appreciate the comment :).

    ReplyDelete